Thursday, January 28, 2016

Happy New Year! Blog Goals for 2016


Quote from Austin Kleon's Book, Steal Like an Artist, chairs in front of Hugo McCloud's work Untitled, safety series orange, 2014 (currently on view at the Studio Museum in Harlem), Frida Kahlo apron made from recycled denim jeans

Happy New Year! I hope it's not too late to still say that. 

At the beginning of the year I took some much needed time to pray, get in tune with God, and seek direction for 2016. At the end of last year I felt a bit scattered and wanted clear direction so I could spend my time and energy wisely. I am so excited about this new year and want to share with you where God is leading me concerning this blog.

1)The Book

This year I am ready and focused to publish the book I have been writing for three years. It started out as a book about lessons I have learned mothering two kids on the spectrum and it has since mutated into other books which I will hopefully write, one after the other.

Early last year, as I was beginning to celebrate seven years of creative entrepreneurship, I felt God leading me to focus my book on this journey and tell my entrepreneurship story from my perspective as a special needs mom.  Here’s a small first-draft excerpt from the beginning of the book:

"Often, when you are writing a book, they tell you to write what you know but Austin Kleon says, 'write the book you want to read.' The book I'm writing is the book I wanted to read when I started my crafty business. I was a special needs mom on the brink of creative entrepreneurship and I had no role models. There are plenty of people, including moms, that start businesses, crafty or otherwise, all the time, but creating in a context of extreme care is different." 
- Nellie Escalante

I am so grateful for all those who have held me accountable and asked me how the book is going. This is why I decided to mention it here too. I need, and want, accountability. I plan to update you here as well as in my, now-revived, author page on Facebook: Author Nell Escalante. Come join me there if you like.

2) Refashion

Although less often, I will continue posting my refashion/wardrobe reconstruction projects here. I am committed to lessoning my carbon footprint around clothes and look forward to posting more about that this year.

3) Museum Practice

I would like to bring you into my museum practice a little more in 2016 as I have revived my work as a museum educator in the last year and a half.  This is exciting for me. After being home for seven years working on my business, it feels wonderful to have co-workers again. I didn’t realize how much I missed working on a team. I am looking forward to introducing you to artists and techniques I use during my museum talks and workshops.

4) Art Practice

I also want to show you some new techniques which I have learned in my own artistic practice as a fabric artesana. Screen printing, writing/painting on fabric, dyeing, resist techniques, these are all mark-making methods I have been reading and experimenting with and I would love to share my results.

5) Nelesc Designs

In my shop, I will focus on offering a variety of recycled denim aprons. I am looking forward to unveiling a collection soon and also offering some new t-shirt designs.


Well, that’s it! I hope you continue joining me here on this new journey in 2016.   

No comments:

Post a Comment